Hunger

I know now that there is a way to judge films and quantifiably determine which is best. After seeing Steve McQueen's Hunger, I was so stricken, so absolutely taken into the film that I had trouble walking. I thought I was going to vomit, to pass out, and could barely keep my balance. I'd never felt this way in a movie, let alone in public, by something so small in scope as Hunger. Steve McQueen knows something that the rest of us don't and I hope he never shares it with anyone. I know I'll never be able to make anything that affects people in the same way, so I won't spend anytime lamenting that fact, I'll just take another approach so as not to get hung up about it. I've seen sad movies and humanistic movies but nothing like this. Suffering, passion, and conviction are given human form in Michael Fassbender and Steve McQueen makes his struggle and every struggle for freedom perfect and harrowing. I love this film and love that it did what it did to every part of me and I don't know that I could ever watch it again. There's no excuse for making a bad film, because this was made for so little money and its presentation was so mind-alteringly creative that I never ever want to see a bad movie again. My patience has been shortened for bad instincts, and yet I also never want to harm anyone or anything ever again and cannot judge things the same way. Hunger is not for everyone, I know this, but I'd put my life behind this movie. I believe that this is quantifiably the best movie ever made because of what it did to me. I've never seen anything like it.

Proof: It’s the geography and the light – that’s all we had.

This is a quote from McQueen which goes to show you need nothing but a keen mind and the need to show things on a human level. Which is what he did.

No comments: